Peru is Gate 1 Foundation's first and longest standing Country Partner, and is home to the largest number of Foundation schools. The Foundation currently supports eight separate schools in Peru, with an additional three schools it has supported in the past that are considered successful, completed projects. Situated in the Peruvian highlands near the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu, Cusco is the city closest to all of the Foundation's supported schools.
OUR IMPACTAmong the major projects the Foundation has funded at many of its eight affiliated schools in Peru, are: new kitchen and dining facilities; new playgrounds; new bathrooms; roofing for unprotected buildings; and greenhouses. The greenhouse built by the Foundation at Chectuyoc School in the Marangani District, for example, supports the growing of food that can be used in school meals, meaning cost savings for the parents of the school's students, whose resources are limited. In addition to these building and infrastructure projects funded by the Foundation, Gate 1 invites tour passengers, who visit our schools as part of their itineraries, to bring small items that are needed but in short supply, to give to the school's students. In this way, Gate 1 Foundation is able to supplement its large-scale contributions with essential educational supplies, which students' families are often unable to afford, thereby multiplying our positive impact on communities.
Gifts to Bring if You're Visiting:
- Winter/warm clothing - socks, hats, gloves
- Sunscreen (sun is very strong at region's altitude)
- Toys/educational games for children ages 3-12
- Books in Spanish and English
- School supplies - colored pencils, lead pencils, pens, white sheets of paper, Quad-Rule or Square-Grid notebooks
- Personal cleaning supplies - toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, gel hand sanitizers, washcloths
- Child sized backpacks
- First aid kits
- Used functional technology such as tablets (with needed charging cables)